Thursday 5 September 2013

Bro, do you even parent?

Ok, I don't know why I named the post that. I don't know if I'm "parent material" or if I will ever be a parent. What I do know is that it is a tough, and often thankless, job. Maybe it is because I'm close to my quarter-life crisis, or maybe it is because all the girls I crushed on in school are uploading albums titled "Mah louly weddin" on Facebook, but I've begun to observe details I'd often ignore.

This morning, I saw a college-going kid sitting next to his dad, who was driving, in a sedan and eating Upma out of a box. Apart from the usual pity and ridicule I reserve for those who eat Upma, I thought about what went into that. His parents sacrificed their sleep and time to make sure he got to college on time with a full, albeit Upma-filled, stomach. I saw a mother hold her special daughter's hand while crossing a busy street. A school bag in one hand and her daughter's hand in the other. I saw a dad with two kids, one in a uniform and another in a costume, waiting for the school bus. I saw an 'Akshaya Patra' van, with meals for kids who study in government-run schools, with pictures of smiling kids on it. There is a story behind every one of these people. Every day is a struggle. The routine they've become accustomed to, was once something they never dreamt of doing.

I don't know if you try to guess the stories and feel the love that goes behind every start to every day. I know not if I do it often enough either. All I know is that I wish there are people, who look at me or know me, who realize that when I have a well-set hairdo it is probably because a lazy adult is still a kid with disheveled hair to that one woman who takes it upon herself to present what defines perfection to her to the world in a perfect manner.

We know of these little things, and we know very well that no acknowledgement is expected of us. However, it wouldn't hurt to express it every once in a while. We need not do much. Ensuring that we dine with the family irrespective of what the 'White's, 'Morgan's, or 'Lannister's  are doing. Chatting up whoever is in the kitchen while they're cooking for you. Keeping those who care about you posted about your whereabouts, or even writing an arguably-cheesy blog post about the topic once in a while can help express your gratitude; or so I'd like to believe.

Ganesha chaturthi is just round the corner. Let us learn from the Elephant-headed one who chose to circumambulate his parents when asked to go around the world. Thank you, Amma-Appa. Also, thank you Silkboard traffic for letting me have these epiphanies on a daily basis.
Jai Hind!

5 comments:

  1. Good one :) Enjoyed reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats a lovely post.
    We live in houses where the number of gadgets are more than the number of people. Its frustrating when you enter home and see people sitting in front of laptops, tablets and TVs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. *wipes tears* I will make Shelly Missy read this whenever they are able to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha :) They'll write something better before you do so. They have an amazing blogger for a mom :D

      Delete