Thursday 10 November 2011

Army material???



The first toy I craved for was a bow and arrow set like arjuna’s and a mace worthy of bhima, I’m hoping most of you are familiar with the Mahabharata , I’m willing to call, mail or meet those who aren't and summarize it btw. Coming back to my point, as a kid the heroic traits of the pandavas made me want to emulate them, be it with a plastic mace or a bow and arrow set made of flimsy wood and string , yet somewhere down the line , the arjuna in me was replaced by krishna (or the duryodhana in me was replaced by shakuni) .
Don’t get me wrong , I don’t mean it any godly way , I did not say sri krishna , all I meant is that the action—seeking kid in me grew up and (Fortunately or unfortunately, your call) paved way to a more passive and analytical soul.
If you’re wondering as to why I brought up this topic on a Sunday morning , then it because the indian army is visiting my campus in an hour or so , recruitment purposes and the battle of thoughts in my head for the past couple of hours would make kurukshetra seem like a children’s playground.
The hostel seems so alive, there’s a sudden surge in the patriotism levels , SSB,AFSPA and Irom sharmila seem to be the trending topics , current affairs discussions going on in every other room , but the inception of the thought took place in the messy mess kitchen while waiting for our bhaturas, a mere suggestion that i’d pull off the interview with ease and that I was pretty well-versed with current affairs got me thinking , its every kid’s dream to be able to do something for the country . I hope it is . While I was asking around if I could register on the spot and what the procedure was , I stopped to look at myself , spotted the aquafina bottle in my hand and put on my thinking cap, is this really my cup of kaapi , true, I have the right intentions , I really want to be able to pitch in , but is the army where I belong and if I’m having to battle out so many thoughts right now , what if (one in a million chance , not being modest , just honest) I DO get through and I begin to have doubts , thereby denying some dude\dudette who was really interested . This ruled out going for the heck of it or “just to experience it”, because let’s face it , the indian army isn’t something you kid about . This is serious shit and I’m no doubt patriotic but the best thing I can do right now is lend my tie and formals to those who forgot to press theirs and help them brush up on their current affairs .
To say I’m disappointed with myself would be an understatement but knowing one’s own limitations is as important as being familiar with one’s strengths , I may have backed out of this race but a promise I shall make (to myself), that someday … I shall do something worthwhile for the people who defend this great nation , I know not in what capacity or form but contribute I shall (and that’s the bhishma in me speaking ). Jai Hind !

No comments:

Post a Comment